You always remember your first movie star crush.
And if¬†your first such¬†crush was TV star and pop idol¬†(and Tiger Beat cowl common) David Cassidy,¬†his announcement that he has been identified with dementia most likely took you without warning. However at age 66, Cassidy’s wrestle to recall tune¬†lyrics he’d recognized for many years was a telltale signal that one thing was amiss.
What’s dementia, anyway?
“Dementia actually is a classification of signs,”¬†stated Patty O’Brian, dementia specialist with the¬†Hartford HealthCare Heart for Wholesome Ageing. “There are many several types of dementia. It’s an umbrella time period.”
Beneath that umbrella come many forms of dementia, together with:
- Alzheimer‚Äôs illness is the most typical, progresses slowly; and step by step destroys reminiscence, motive, judgment, language, and finally the flexibility to hold out even easy duties.
- Vascular dementia occurs when a part of the mind doesn’t get sufficient blood carrying the oxygen and vitamins it wants
- Acquired mind damage occurs when there may be some sort of damage or lack of oxygen to the mind
- Fronto-temporal dementia impacts planning and judgment; feelings, talking and understanding speech; and sure forms of motion
- Dementia with Lewy Physique results in a decline in considering, reasoning and motor expertise
Age is the No. 1 danger consider creating a dementia. Statistically, a 65-year-old particular person has a 1 in ¬†9 likelihood of creating some kind of dementia. By the point an individual reaches 85, the probabilities are one-in-three.
If you’re involved that an older liked on could also be experiencing dementia, O’Brian usually asks a easy query of members of the family.
“What’s the change in the one you love?” she stated. “Take David Cassidy,¬†who has been singing the identical songs for the final 30 years and¬†all of the sudden can’t bear in mind the lyrics? That’s an enormous change in him.”
Different modifications and indicators:
- Reminiscence loss
- Modifications in how folks discuss
- Modifications in how folks act
- Hassle finishing each day actions
- Problem studying new expertise
O’Brian means that anybody experiencing such signs, or recognizing them in a liked one, make sure a full medical work up is carried out on the person in query. This helps rule out situations which can be look much like dementia however are treatable, akin to vitamin deficiencies or thyroid points.
If the prognosis is a dementia, there may be, sadly, no treatment right now. However there are therapies obtainable to assist handle signs.
Be taught extra about¬†dementia within the Dementia Caregiver Sources Information from the Hartford HealthCare Heart for Wholesome Ageing. In case you have extra questions or want extra data, name the Heart for Wholesome Ageing at 1.877.424.4641.¬†